Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Be A Model

Be a Model…

Isn’t it interesting that we expect so much from our children, yet we behave the way we want to.  I am going to tell you right now, that if you expect your child to be something and act a certain way, you MUST act that way also!  

My children participated in sports teams as they grew up.  One time, a daughter was on a new team.  I watched one young lady treat my daughter and others in a mean way.  Unless you followed her and did what she wanted, you were shunned.  This was hard for my daughter and hard for me to watch.   Then one day I met this girls mother.  I knew exactly why the young girl was like she was.  Her mother was exactly the same way!  Funny how that works.  

I heard a quote recently that I took to heart.   

“Children are great imitators, so give them something great to imitate!” Joy D. Jones

Children are going to imitate.  Do you want them imitating you and your values or someone else?   If you need to change something (and believe me we all do, even when you are my age!), be courageous, be bold and take strength.   Be honest, authentic and smart about yourself.  Show your children you can change.   This also models a life skill.  Looking at our own faults and changing them shows them they can also do the same.  

MODEL that which you expect….


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...